Saturday, January 1, 2011

Where to begin?

This is a post that I had entered into my first blog alomst a year ago. I have copy and pasted it here because I think it fits. and although my journey into the peace corps process started when I was 16, I think that this post expained a huge stepping stone in getting myself there. It was from March 20th 2010. Enjoy.






To start off, I will welcome myself to the modern world of online blogging. I met a friend recently who has a blog (I am not too sure about the exact terminology yet... time will teach me), and until then I had never really thought that it was even a good idea. To be completely honest, I thought it would be sophomoric, naive, and even slightly silly to create a blog. The thought of putting posts up so that the world can read about my life and my lessons in life, was not something I ever desired. However, lately I have gotten the itch to write again. I used to love writing, and have fallen away from it since high school. This friend that I mentioned is a great writer. Although I have only read a few of his blogs and nothing really substantial, his love of writing fired up a few embers from my writing past that I had assumed died out. I have been trying to write in a diary since I was little, but that gets boring. So here I am, writing about my life to everyone in the socialized world of internet and blogging.

I guess my next step is to explain my blog name. Although I have only entered this community recently, I have noticed that blog names are similar to an insanely immature competition. Well, let it be known that I am no where near a competitive person, and I would like to think my maturity is above and beyond. At first thought, I wanted to look up the most difficult words that I could find to create a name that would awe all of my followers into jealousy. Then I thought to myself, lets keep this real, I am no writer, I am simply a common college girl looking for an outlet to the emotional fatigue that is my mind. I decided to keep it simple and true to who I am. I am a wanna-be free spirit. I dream of all the places I want to go and of all of the things that I want to see. I dream about having a "wherever the wind takes me" kind of a personality. I dream of backpacking through countries I only read about in my annoyingly small collection of travel books. I dream of hiking mountains, camping in unknown areas, and trekking to places most people don't even know exist. I dream of sky diving, and cliff jumping, and just getting on a plane and going.I dream about helping all the people that I come across, and of joining the Peace Corps to do that. I have a personality that too fully processes another persons pain. I want to make the world a better place, even if it is only for a handful of people I come across in my lifetime.I want to change the world, for someone at least. I dream of being the best I can in all that I do, and I don't let myself have anything less than that. I DREAM a lot of big free-spirited dreams. I don't actually do them. At least not yet. This is where my blog name comes in. I was recently told that I am almost there, that one day very soon I will be that free spirit that I want to be (maybe not in those exact words though... who has a memory that good these days?). And so, I would like to start on a journey to become that free-spirited person that I am dying to be. One day I am sure I will get there, and I will write about all of the mountains that I climb, and all of the people that I help, and all of my dreams that I fulfill.

1 comment:

  1. PS at the time, my blog name was a journey to free-spiritism... it has obviously changes since then.

    ReplyDelete